Built on the Promenade des Anglais by Edouard Niermans in 1912 for Romanian businessman Henri Negresco, the palace remains the only museum-palace in Nice. It is home to several collections tracing five centuries of the history of art. The 121 bedrooms and 24 suites each have their own decoration. All the periods of French art are represented from Louis XIII to modern art. A five star establishment, it is considered one of the most beautiful hotels in the world.
Promenade des Anglais
The world famous seaside promenade running along the curve of the Baie des Anges (Bay of the Angels) was originally a small path roughly two meters wide. An Englishman, Reverend Lewis Way, had it built at his own expense in 1820. It became known to the locals as the Englishmen’s path. In 1931 “the Prom” was inaugurated by the Duke of Connaught, one of the sons of Queen Victoria.